3 Reasons You Should Tithe
The Bible shows that ancient Israel was to practice a financial principle called tithing. Does tithing apply today? Here are three reasons you should tithe.
To state the obvious (or at least what should be obvious), God does not need your money! God is the Creator of the entire universe. Everything—including all wealth (and that includes your money)—belongs to God.
In the ultimate sense, all your income belongs to God. All your ability, talent and health—your capacity to earn a living—is a gift from Him (James 1:17).
Read, consider, believe and embrace what is said in the following scriptures. These passages lay the groundwork for understanding and practicing tithing.
God owns all
- “The earth is the LORD’s, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein” (Psalm 24:1).
- “‘The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine,’ says the LORD of hosts” (Haggai 2:8).
- “If I were hungry, I would not tell you; for the world is Mine, and all its fullness” (Psalm 50:12).
- “Both riches and honor come from You, and You reign over all. In Your hand is power and might; in Your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all. … But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly as this? For all things come from You, and of Your own we have given You” (1 Chronicles 29:12, 14).
- “And you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth” (Deuteronomy 8:18).
Honor God with our possessions
- “Honor the LORD with your possessions, and with the firstfruits of all your increase” (Proverbs 3:9).
Just as no friendship could last if you consistently stole from your friend, you cannot have a consistent relationship with God if you consistently steal from Him.How to honor God with our possessions
- “And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD’s. It is holy to the LORD” (Leviticus 27:30).
- “Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings” (Malachi 3:8).
- “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone” (Matthew 23:23). Jesus here endorsed a continuation of tithing, along with adherence to the “weightier matters.”
3 reasons you should tithe
1. To stay in a right relationship with your Creator!
A right relationship with God certainly includes thankfulness to Him for the gifts He has given you, which include life, ability and strength—which allow you to make an income. It includes a thankful awareness that it is in Him that you “live and move and have [your] being” (Acts 17:28). To regularly give back to God a portion of what He has given to you helps sustain an attitude of dependence and thankfulness toward Him.
But what is an appropriate amount to give back to God? The biblical answer is a “tithe” of your “increase.” The English word tithe in your Bible is a translation of words in the original languages of the Bible that mean one-tenth—10 percent. When you use the resources God has given you to earn an increase in your wealth, you should give 10 percent of that increase back to God. This helps remind us that we are dependent on Him for all we have.
God calls a refusal to tithe an act of thievery from Him (Malachi 3:8)! Just as no friendship could last if you consistently stole from your friend, you cannot have a consistent relationship with God if you consistently steal from Him.
2. To build the “give way” into your character.
The Bible teaches us that God’s nature is centered on giving (James 1:17). The perfect example of God’s character was the life of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He came to give. He gave His life for our sins (Romans 5:8). He gave an example, which we should imitate (1 John 2:6; Ephesians 5:2). Jesus taught that it is better to give than to get (Acts 20:35).
When you practice God’s law of tithing, you give away some of your increase, helping you to build God’s character of give into your life.
3. To help support God’s work on the earth.
When you give God’s tithe to those He is working through to proclaim and teach His truth and way of life, you are supporting His work. You are then helping to spread the most important message the world can hear—that God’s Kingdom is coming and mankind must repent (Mark 1:14-15)! There is no more important work being done on earth today.
Life, Hope & Truth is sponsored by the Church of God, a Worldwide Association, and has members spanning the globe united together in striving to do God’s work on earth.
To learn more about the topic of tithing, read “Tithing: What Is It?”