Another War to End All Wars?
Recently, nations around the globe have been holding exercises to prepare their militaries for the possibility of war. Is another world war on the horizon?
Recently, the great nations of our world have conducted exercises that display a substantial global military buildup. Our increasingly unstable world has led to nations preparing themselves for the possibility of war. Notice the following news reports of military exercises that have taken or will take place this year:
- July 25: Sweden to Hold “Biggest Military Exercise in Decades” With NATO Amid Fears Over Russia.
- July 31: Russia’s Military Drills Near NATO Border Raise Fears of Aggression.
- Aug. 1: US, Singapore Conclude Biggest Army Exercise.
- Aug. 2: Egyptian-Greek Joint Military Exercise “Medusa 2017.”
- Aug. 6: Egypt, Kuwait Start Joint Military Exercise.
- Aug. 7: China’s Military Launches War Games as Warning to U.S., North Korea Amid Nuclear Missile Crisis.
- Aug. 8: Russian Military Leads China, India and Iran in International Army Games.
- Aug. 9: Turkey and Qatar Carry Out Joint Military Exercises.
- Aug. 10: NATO Continuing Massive Multinational Military Exercises in Georgia.
- Aug. 10: Thousands Gather in Washington for 13 Days of Military Exercises.
- Aug. 11: US-South Korean War Games Provide Trigger That Could Further Inflame Pyongyang.
That’s just in a few weeks! With technology continuing to produce more precise and destructive weapons, it is only a matter of time before the destructive force of modern military technology is unleashed with catastrophic consequences.
The war to end all wars
The Bible shows the problem at the core of war is the deficiency of human character. The 20th century produced two of the most destructive wars in mankind’s history. World War I began 103 years ago and lasted from 1914 to 1918. It was nicknamed “the war to end all wars.” People at that time were desperately hopeful that the end result of this war would resolve centuries-old disputes between nations and result in a more stable world.
But just 21 years later, World War II began, and it was even more bloody and destructive than the war that preceded it. Consider the following comparisons:
World War I World War II
6.6 million civilian deaths 45 million civilian deaths
8 million military deaths 15 million military deaths
21.2 million wounded 25 million wounded
(Sources: World War I by the Numbers and Research Starters: Worldwide Deaths in World War II.)
Nations today are heavily investing to build up their military power and readiness. According to statistics gathered by SIPRI (Stockholm International Peace Research Institute), worldwide military spending was $1.69 trillion in 2016. To see the military spending of various nations, check out the graphic in the above link.
Will there be another world war?
Sadly, World War II will not be the last world war. The Bible prophesies a great world war that will engulf the entire earth. Consider the following verses:
- Christ warned that leading up to the end of the age (Matthew 24:3) there will be “wars and rumors of wars” and “nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom” (verses 6-7).
- A great military power known as the “beast” (a revived Roman Empire) will emerge out of Europe with vast military might: “Who is able to make war with him?” (Revelation 13:4). When this prophecy is fulfilled, the United States will no longer be the military hegemon it is today.
- An army of 200 million men will be assembled from a coalition of nations to the north (primarily Russia) and east (China and other Asian nations) (Revelation 9:16; Daniel 11:44).
- Global warfare will put humanity on the brink of total extinction (Matthew 24:22). Thankfully, Jesus Christ will return and save humanity before this can happen (Zechariah 14:1-12; Revelation 19:19-21).
After Christ returns to this earth, He will set up the Kingdom of God, which will eventually result in real peace (Micah 4:1-3). To learn more, read “What Is the Kingdom of God?”
Root cause of war
The Bible shows the problem at the core of war is the deficiency of human character. The apostle James addressed this in his epistle: “Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war” (James 4:1-2).
Humanity has been operating along the path of self-interest since Satan (disguised as a serpent) convinced Adam and Eve to reject God’s way in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3). Satan continues to stir up this selfish drive in human beings (Ephesians 2:2). He not only uses selfishness and lust to cause individuals to sin—but uses the same core drive to cause nations to go to war.
The tree of life (symbolic of God’s guidance through His divine power) is the only way to real peace. You can access that tree now through the sacrifice and life of Jesus Christ. Though much of mankind will have to experience very painful lessons before learning that God’s way is the only way to peace, individually you can choose to live that way today! The choice is yours. You can “choose life” (Deuteronomy 30:19-20; Joshua 24:15).