When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour. And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and to them were given seven trumpets.
The book of Revelation describes seven seals on a prophetic scroll. When we come to Revelation 8:1-2, the first four seals (also known as the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse), the fifth seal and the sixth seal have all been opened. Now Jesus Christ opens the seventh and last seal to reveal seven angels and their trumpets. In succession, these seven angels blow their trumpets to announce seven terrible end-time events.
- First trumpet: Trees and grass struck (Revelation 8:7).
- Second trumpet: Seas struck (8:8-9).
- Third trumpet: Fresh waters struck (8:10-11).
- Fourth trumpet: Sun, moon and stars struck (8:12).
- Fifth trumpet (first woe): Symbolic locusts torment people for five months (9:1-11).
- Sixth trumpet (second woe): A 200-million-man army kills one-third of humanity (9:13-21).
- Seventh trumpet (third woe): Announces the return of Jesus Christ and the seven last plagues (11:15-19; 16:1-21).
Read more in our article “How the Seven Trumpets of Revelation Will Affect Humanity.” These trumpets are tied into the meaning of the fourth of God’s festivals, the Feast of Trumpets.